Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fragile Handle With Care...




Lesson One


Soaps in Glass Bottles
Page 44

(Excuse the chipping nail polish. As I mentioned earlier, I am a hot mess. Side note, the color is OPI 'You Don't Know Jacque.')



718 pages...I decided to start small, minute, tiny, a blip if you will. In the bottom corner of page 44 I saw this charming photo of a glass bottle and thought, PERFECT! This I can do! Martha recommends to transport dish and hand soaps into glass bottles. No labels. No plastics. No mismatched color palettes. Very Martha!



I feel it necessary to show you the before state of the sinks in Apartment 4B. Not very Martha!








After much internal debate, I felt it best to purchase said glass bottles in suburbia. I dressed Baby Maddox in his best 'Baby does Jordan Catalano' look and we headed to the mecca of Home Goods and Target. Although I do enjoy a Home Goods-they are truly hit or miss. This particular trip resulted in a find of a silver and glass bottle for $12.99. Maddox and I had better luck at Target. I have always been a fan of Target ever since I semi-dated a Target Team Member. True story, but I digress.







Target had a variety of glass bottles in the bathroom accessories aisle. I quickly fell in love with these glass pump milk bottles. And they were on sale for $9.99! Price cut! Gonk! (A la Nene from Real Housewives of Atlanta. I will need to create a Glossary of Terms for this blog.)

Target also has an incredible selection of refill soaps that come in an easy to pour bag and is cost effective. It is like getting the Costo pricing without sacrificing style.

Back to my tiny apartment in the big city...After rereading Martha's passage, I quickly realized I made a mistake! Martha suggests a pour spout glass bottle for dish soap and I purchased I pump bottle! GPA (Gay Panic Attack-I will add this to the Glossary of Terms) And I did not purchase enough hand soap. I have never been as good at measuring ounces, fluid ounces and grams as my more Nancy Botwin oriented friends. Despite these two oversights on my part I found this to be an easy upgrade and one that my heterosexual male roommate actually commented on, "Jenny Bear!! Look at these glass vessels!!"

In a few easy steps you too can de-clutter and Martha-ize your sink areas in your home. A quick trip to your local Bullseye, "marrying" the soap bottles to the glass bottles and voila! Side note, the "marrying" of the bottles made me think of the early 90's movie 'All I want for Christmas' staring Ethan Embry where he "marries" the ketchup bottles as an analogy for divorce. This was very cutting edge in 1991 and yes this is the same Ethan Embry who would later go onto star in the cult classic 'Empire Records.'


In keeping with my affinity for grades...I plan on rating each lesson from Martha on Difficulty, Execution and Level of FUN.

  • Difficulty-I am going to say 1 out 5. 5 being the most difficult. I mean if I cannot pour liquid into a bottle than I am really never going to be able to fold a fitted sheet.
  • Execution-I give myself a B-
  • Fun Factor-This was actually really fun and a good way to ease into the world of Martha!
ONTO LESSON NUMBER 2!!











5 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!!! I am totally doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Lauren this is a great idea. this would look amazing in apartment 2H in ASTORIA QUEENS! I love it and I'm going to target...only if my weekly budget can afford purposed vessels!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok seriously....the movie All I Want For Christmas?!?! If I didn't think we were soul sisters already....I could cry....MY ENTIRE LOVE AFFAIR WITH THE UES STARTED WITH THAT MOVIE!!!!! And allll my inspiration for Claire and love of all things Ralph originated with Thora Birtch and Lauren Bacall in their peacoats and ballet flats. Seriously, my obsession with curls started with this movie. So pivotal. I CANNOT believe you just referenced that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karli-You truly are the blonde version of me!!! I have never met anyone else who has seen that movie!!! We must watch it together while overlooking the mountauns of the Utes and gorging on Sweet Toorth Fairy. "Baby its cold outside!" I could do die!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving your new pumps! So chic you are!

    I am also recommending the book, "Bucolic Plague", but Josh Kilmer-Purcell. You might know him better as one half of "The Fabulous Beekman Boys" on Planet Green. His partner, Brent, was "Dr. Brent" of the Martha show. This book is a wonderful recollection of them buying a 200 year old farmhouse upstate and attempting to turn it into an estate Martha would be proud to call her own.

    ReplyDelete