Sunday, December 5, 2010

Presentation of Presents...



Lesson 6
Page 426

Tie it with a bow..


(An attempt to make the outside as pretty as what is inside. Like putting on make-up or hot rollers.)



'This the Season' for gift giving and what better time to master how to buy, wrap, tie, design and store all things GIFT WRAP! I have forever been a student of just slapping on the gift wrap to cover the box and using one of the pre-made stick-on bows/hoarding gift bags. Similarly, my grandmother used to actually SAVE the gift wrap. She would neatly undo the gift wrap, slip out the present and fold the gift wrap for later use. Time to upgrade my skills (Just in time for Jenny Bear's Birthday):

For this specific task I used three Martha Resources; Obviously, Home-Keeping Handbook, Martha Stewart Living Magazine, and http://www.marthastewart.com/.

Tools
1) Paper-As usual I began with a trip to the local Bullseye for the essentials. Rather than purchasing a roll of gift wrap I decided to make a 'crafty choice' and purchase a roll of brown butcher paper. The brown butcher paper would serve as my canvas and I would use Sharpies to create a pattern/ design.


2) Ribbon-I decided to swing by the holiday aisle for some extra special ribbon. As per Martha's suggestion for first time bow tie-ers I went with a wide satin ribbon. (In TURQUOISE of course!)



3) Tissue Paper-I love to tie in a color palette so I chose a printed paper that Incorporated turquoise, pink and purple.


4) Gift Toppers-I thought this was the CUTEST suggestion! Martha recommends adding a small but fun mini-gift to the top of each wrapped present. I chose these adorable mini ornament frames!


Organize the Presents
I decided to focus Jenny Bear's gifts around our favorite designer, Marc Jacobs. The gifts varied in size- small, medium and large. This became the inspiration for my gift wrap design. I decided to hand write on each paper roll. First I measured out the paper then began writing. This reminded of being a child and watching 'You Can't Do that on Television.' Do you recall the episodes where they would need to write out the same phrase on the chalk board. Anyone??




Holy Hand Cramp! The Office of Repetition was Open!

Box, Fold and Tape!




Grand Finale-I actually MADE the bows!


I was so scared! But do no sweat it Bow-Making Virgins. It was so easy! With the help of Martha online I was able to be make three different bows. At first I was not pleased with the Ikea like picture directions but it was surprisingly easy and FUN! Think tying your shoes with a twist!









Personal Touch

I could not just leave the generic photos in the mini-frames. I replaced each picture with a print-out of three hotties:

1,) James Franco (Jenny Bear's Number One for years!)


2) Mr. Schuster (Have you seen those abs? So hot for the teacher!)

3) Jason Stackhouse (No explanation needed!)




Best Part...
Jenny Bear's reaction to the gifts!

At the end of the day it is not the wrapping, what's inside but truly the person you give it to and the joy it brings.

May this year be the best yet!
















1 comment:

  1. love it! Martha's wrapping and trimming suggestions are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete