Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Homemade Holiday-Part One


Lesson 7

1991 Classic Martha Holiday Tip

Beach-Themed Christmas Decor


(Everyone knows I love a beach theme. What could be better than a 'splash' of summer during the holiday season?)





A brown box, a simple ribbon and
a gift made with love and care.

The moment this box was placed in my hands I knew its contents. I had become an avid Martha Living Magazine reader and Martha had outlined her favorite tips from Holiday Seasons Past. Martha's homage to 1991 took my breath away! Metallic Shell Candles! I thought this was such an ingenious idea. Two weeks later, my dear friend Jen Cust came over to my Manhattan pad for a vegetarian dinner, dessert and a surprise gift exchange. Jen gave a disclaimer, "You will have no idea what is inside but I can explain." She handed me the box and I blurted out, "OH MY GOD YOU MADE ME THE MARTHA BEACH CANDLES!!!" I ripped open the ribbon and one by one unpacked the pristine, metallic, perfect Martha Shell Candles! I was ALMOST as happy as this kid:





Jen was kind enough to explain IN DETAIL every step of making this fabulous holiday table topper:


Michael's
We begin with a trip to Michael's Arts & Crafts. I recommend scanning your local paper as there is bound to be a coupon. Also, Martha includes coupons in every issue of her Martha Living Magazine. You will need to purchase shells, gold spraypaint, wax, and wicks. BONUS: The wax comes with its own melting pot so no need to shy away from melting wax.


Graffiti
I have always want to be a cool street artist. On a totally off subject I am borderline obsessed with PK Kid or Kid PK. He has tags all over NJ and NYC. If you have never noticed before I just ruined it for you. You will now see it EVERYWHERE! Back to Martha, have your PK Kid moment and do the following:
  • Open the Windows

  • Line your Floor with newspaper or as Jen did with Whole Food Bags-She is too cute.
  • Place the shells on the covered area.

  • Shake the gold spray paint and spray each shell.

  • Hold the spray can at least 12" from the shells and be sure to cover the inside and outside of the shell.



















Madame Wax

Not a fan of the Wax Museum. I have no desire to squeeze the wax J. Lo butt or stand next to a waxed Brangelina (Especially since I have experienced the REAL thing!)



























For this project you will need to embrace the usage of wax. Cut the wax block into pieces and place in the provided pot. The shells should be placed face up on an adjacent counter. Pour the melted wax into the shells. Be sure to use the wax while wax is still warm and does not harden onto the pot. Place a wick into the center of the wax.

Display
I find that displaying the shells in a wave formation in the center of the table works best. I also adore the combination of shells with wax and those without. These simple pieces will make any Holiday Table sparkle with summer flair. LOVE IT!

One of the best gifts of 2010 was by far meeting Jen and our new sisterhood of homemade treats, dinners and new traditions of HOMEMADE HOLIDAYS!
Stay tuned for Homemade Holiday-Part Two
& my first attempt at Dessert Tables!
Also, check out Tipper Tap's new Blog:


1 comment:

  1. ODELL! I love the wax beach theme goodness. So severe and so you. Everyone knows you love a good body of water!

    ReplyDelete